It is quite possible to to copy of files on external hard drive under MacOS. Indeed, the very principle of the external hard drive is to be able to store documents to multimedia files in number in order tolighten the disk of your device Apple.It will also be possible to use your external device to transfer files from one computer to another. Unfortunately, transferring files between your device Macbook and your external device is sometimes Impossible. Thus, you will find in this article the different steps to follow in order to copy files on your external drive under MacOS as well as the steps to follow when you cannot read your external device with your computer Apple. Good reading!
Copy files to an external hard drive in MacOS
To transfer files to an external hard drive under MacOS, nothing's easier. You just need to follow the following steps:
- Connect the external device to your computer Apple using the cable USB that was provided to you when you purchased your external hard drive
- Wait for the symbol of your external hard drive to appear on your device screen Macbook
- Double click on the symbol of your external hard drive
- All you have to do is drag the documents you want to copy onto your external device or copy paste them directly into the space of your external hard drive
Please note that a file will only be deleted from your external hard drive once the recycle bin on your computer is Apple emptied. Once the latter is emptied, the deleted file will no longer occupy space on your external device.
My Macbook device refuses to read my external device
If your external device does not work with your device Macbook, it may simply be not compatible with the system Apple for the moment. In this case, you will need to have recourse to a formatting from your external hard drive.
Here are the steps to follow if you want format an external hard drive in MacOS in order to make it compatible with iOS system from your device Macbook:
- Connect the external hard drive to your device Macbook using the cable USB that was provided to you when you purchased your external hard drive
- Open Disk Utility on your device Apple
- Select your external hard drive in the left column
- Click on the tab Clear
- Select the MS-DOS format
- Click on the button Clear to start the formatting process
You can now use your external hard drive with your computer Apple and copy there all the documents and multimedia files of your choice, within the limit of theavailable space on your external device. Be careful never to unplug an external hard drive without first taking care of eject it upstream, at the risk of losing files and damaging your device.